WHERE: Volunteer Landing, Downtown Knoxville
Race fans can expect fast and exciting fun at the Powerboat Superleague Racing on the Tennessee. An international field of contenders, the best F2 and F3 tunnel boat drivers, are scheduled to kick off their season, stop number one on the 2014 seven race Superleague tour.
Teams from across the United States and Canada will start individual quests for circuit high-points, as well as racing for event purse and prizes and series championships on the Tennessee River at Volunteer Landing.
See the details at VisitKnoxville.
NOTE: Ned McWherter Park and boat ramp will be closed for public access from Friday, May 30 – Sunday, June 1 for this event.
Stay tuned for details on arrangements for docking Boom’s Day and the Utah State game on Sunday.
Changing a Boat Name!
Did you know that it is bad luck to change the name of a boat? It is!
Unless, you follow a very specific ceremony. You need to re-christen the vessel before it is moved. Here is the procedure:
- Remove all remnants of the former boat name from both the inside and outside of the vessel
- Add live greenery on the bow
- Open a bottle of champagne
- Pour a bit of (or as much as you want) champagne on the bow
- Pour a glass of champagne for everyone in attendance
- Read the following aloud: “For thousands of years, we have gone to sea. We have crafted vessels to carry us and we have called them by name. These ships will nurture and care for us through perilous seas, and so we affectionately call them “she”. To them we toast, and ask to celebrate <state the name of the boat>.“
- Everybody raises their glass of champagne and shouts: “To the Sailors of Old . . . To <state the new name of the boat>“.
- Everybody takes a sip of champagne
- Read the following aloud: “The moods of the sea are many, from tranquil to violent. We ask that this ship be given the strength to carry on. The keel is strong and she keep out the pressures of the sea.“
- Everybody raises their glass of champagne and shouts: “To the Sea . . . To the Sailors of Old . . . To the Sea!“
- Everybody takes another sip of champagne
- Read the following aloud: “Today we come to name the lady <state the new name of the boat>, and send her to sea to be cared for, and to care for the <name of your family> family. We ask the sailors of old and the mood of God that is the sea to accept <state the new name of the boat> as her name, to help her through the passages, and allow her to return with her crew safely.“
- Everybody raises their glass of champagne and shouts: “To the Sea . . . To the Sailors of Before us . . . To <state the new name of the boat>.“
Ahoy VOL Navy Faithful,
Ken “The New Guy” will be broadcasting his entire show from the upper deck of the KokOasis positioned at the VOL Navy adjacent to Neyland Stadium. Yours truly may also acUTally grab the mic for a moment or two – you just never know. 🙂
If you are in the vicinity of the VOL Navy, drop by and spend some time with us on the upper deck.